Registration for Summer and Fall 2017 opened March 27th for matriculated students. Register soon to automatically be entered to win a Bookstore Gift Certificate!
By Dr. Alicia Harvey-Smith
Eclectic Insights (Part 1) – A composition of Poetry and Essays on varying Thoughts and Differing Opinions is a collection of motivational and inspiring writings spanning three decades. Dr. Alicia Harvey-Smith brings a delightful and fresh view to the realm of poetry, her authentic persona of care for mankind and pure honesty shines through in careful word craft as her interpretations of life are unpeeled; layer by layer, page by page.
Her poems give a deep, introspective view of the many stages of life. For example, the poem, “Finding Your Song” ignites readers in their quest to seek balance in an unbalanced world, while stepping with purpose to the beat of their own drum. Her innate talent of translating thought into vision brings her words to life—thusly, engaging the reader in an up-close and personal way. From celebrity tributes, writings of pure bliss, to unraveling questions of human uncertainty, readers are challenged to live on purpose.
She unveils life’s moments with ease and takes readers on a personal literary journey of eclectic insights. Her heart-felt writings will touch you and evoke emotions that strike a chord with all readers from every corner and walk of life. In a confusing world, Dr. Alicia Harvey-Smith’s poetry collection is inspiring and healing.
- Editor/Lead Writer The Seventh Learning College Principle: A Framework For Transforming Learning Organizations, (2005). National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
- Co-authored, The Role of Student Development In The Learning College in Establishing & Sustaining Learning-Centered Community Colleges (American Association of Community Colleges, 2005).
- The Evolving Role of Student Affairs in Learning Organizations (NASPA, 2005).
- The Seventh Learning College Principle and Organizational Transformation (NASPA, 2005)
- Co-authored, From Theory to Practice – A Blueprint For Transformation Using Learning College Principles, (NASPA, 2005).
- Co-authored, A Framework for Transforming and Sustaining Learner-Centered Student Affairs Divisions, (NASPA, 2005).
- Growing Learning Communities At The Community College: Two Decades of First-Year Student Development Efforts, (2004). National Resource Center and First Year Experience and Transitions.
- A Framework for Transforming Learning Organizations: Proposing a New Learning College Principle, (July 2003). League For Innovation – Learning Abstracts, Volume 6, Number 7.
- An Examination of The Retention Literature and Application In Student Success, (2003). Promoting Inclusion Journal, American Association of Community Colleges.
- The Adoption of the Learning Paradigm in Student Affairs Divisions in Vanguard Community Colleges: A Case Analysis – (2003) Dissertation University of Maryland-College Park.
- Retention Literature Review-From Theory To Practice, Removing Vestiges Magazine (2002).
- Critique Violence on Campus: Defining the Problems, Strategies for Action appeared in Commuter Perspectives – National Clearinghouse for Commuter Programs, spring (1999).
- Getting Real – Proven Strategies for Student Survival and Academic Success, text published by Duncan & Duncan Publications (1998).
- Cited in the Chapter: Nests For Dreams, Backdrops For Visions: Making A Difference With Students, appearing in Life At The Edge Of The Wave, published by the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, Culp & Helfgot Compiling Editors (1998).
- Cited in: The Community College Journal, February/March (1997), Student Development Issue,
- Article: Believe the Possibilities-Holistic and Continuous Networks Necessary in Retaining Students, National Council of Black American Affairs Newsletter, April 1995.
- Essay: Developing Programs For Success, Community College Times October (1994).