In addition to the general admission requirements and specific admission requirements for the desired program, international students issued an F-1 Visa must maintain a minimum course load of 12 credits per semester, must attend on a full time basis (12 credits or more per semester) and submit the following:
- Official English translation and transcript credential evaluation of all secondary school and university academic records, including a letter mailed directly to the College from an approved Credential Evaluation Service (visit www.naces.org/members.htm for listing) insuring the authenticity of the educational credentials;
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a score of 500 or better (173 or better on the computer-based test); inquiries regarding the test should be addressed to: TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540; students earning less than 500 on the TOEFL may be evaluated for language study. For students currently in the United States seeking a student Visa, the College may waive the TOEFL requirement and administer the College's placement test;
- Letter of support from the person(s) who will be financially responsible for the students; letter should include the student's name, intent to attend River Valley Community College, and the amount of money available. Must be in English and funds stated in US dollars;
- Letter from the financial institution which holds funds of the person(s) financially responsible for the student; statement should be on official letterhead, indicate the sponsor's and student's names, the amount of money available for the student stated in US dollars and be in English;
- Admissions require applicants to present original and current passport and immigration documents including current Visa and/or Duration of Status (D/S) card when available. Photo copies of original documents will be made at the College.
Dollar amounts promised by the sponsor and available in the sponsor's bank account should be sufficient to cover a minimum of two year of expenses (out-of-state tuition, fees, books and miscellaneous expenses). Before a Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 Visa (I-20) can be issued, applicants must have submitted all documents required to be considered for admission into a program, be accepted into a program and have submitted the required TOEFL score and financial documents. F-1 Visa (I-20) must be updated when transferring to or attending each new educational institution. Contact Admissions for procedure.
*Applicants scoring less than 500 on the TOEFL may apply for the General Studies program with an emphasis on ESL training for academic preparations.
PLEASE NOTE: On-campus housing is not available. Student Services maintains a housing list.