Services for Students with Disabilities

Department of Instructional Services
Room 234

River Valley Community College is committed to assuring that otherwise-qualified students with disabilities are guaranteed equal access to all the educational benefits of the College. Students who self-disclose a disability during the admissions process are invited to meet with the Disabilities Coordinator to discuss services available through the Department of Instructional Services. Students with valid, current documentation of a disability may be qualified for services under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Qualified students with disabilities may request appropriate classroom accommodations under Section 504. Appropriate classroom accommodations are granted by the College through the Disabilities Coordinator on a case-by-case basis and are designed to help students meet academic program requirements. Reasonable and appropriate classroom accommodations are recommended in an Individual Reasonable Accommodation Plan which the student may share with course instructors. The Disabilities Coordinator then works closely with students and instructors in implementing the recommended accommodation plan. Students with Individual Reasonable Accommodation Plans must have them renewed or updated by the Disabilities Coordinator each semester. Students are strongly advised to review the procedure for seeking appropriate academic accommodations with the Disabilities Coordinator.

Keys to Accessing Postsecondary Education

Frequently asked questions

How can I arrange Admissions testing accommodations?

It is best for you to discuss this with your admissions counselor. The admissions counselor may refer you to the Disabilities Coordinator.  The DC will ask you for appropriate documentation to support your request. The Admissions Office will call you to schedule placement testing. 

It may be helpful to know that the testing is done by computer.  Any student can take as much time as needed to complete the test. 

How do I receive course accommodations?

Make an appointment with your DC. Be prepared to provide up to date documentation to the DC to support you request.  Disability records are not automatically forwarded to the college.  If you qualify for an accommodation plan, your DC will work with you to make sure that you obtain appropriate course accommodations.  Remember   You must ask for an accommodation plan.  It will not be provided automatically.  If you have any questions about your eligibility, ask the DC.   

What documentation must I provide if I have a learning disability?

Educational evaluation dated within the last three years containing:

  • a measure of aptitude
  • a measure of achievement
  • any other relevant standardized measures of achievement
  • actual test scores and interpretation of results
  • clear, specific evidence and identification of the learning disability


What documentation must I provide if I have a physical, psychological or other disability?

Documentation must provide a clear statement of the disability, a summary of the assessment procedures and evaluation instruments used to make the diagnosis, and a summary of evaluation results, especially those related to academic issues. 

Are specialized instructional aides or personal care services provided?

No.  Students are responsible for arranging and providing these services when they are deemed appropriate.  These include, but are not limited to, medical equipment, personal care attendants, specialized tutors or educational aides.  There is no nursing office or medical facility on campus.

Will requirements of a program or the content of a course be modified?

No.  Students are required to meet the essential requirements of academic departments to enter a program and to remain in a program.  Students must show mastery of course materials to earn college credit.

How will my instructors find our about my academic need related to my disability?

To receive services, a student must self-identity. It is recommended that a student meet with the DC early on in the application process. As an adult, you have the responsibility to inform your instructors about you disability.  You also have the right not to inform your instructors.  Ask the DC how and when to confidentially disclose your needs. 

Emma Clifford
Disabilities Coordinator & ESL Specialist
Room 234 or call 542-7744 x. 5421