Student Rights and Grievance Policies

In the case of a grievance alleging discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, marital status, mental regtardation or physical disability, prior conviction of a crime, political beliefs, or orientation, the student may also report the conduct to the college's Affirmative Action/Equity Office and/or Title IX Coordinator. In the case of a grievance alleging discrimination, the college may also initiate an investigation and take appropriate action.

Any student who feels that their rights have been violated may file a grievance following the procedure below:

1.) Prior to filing a grievance, the student is encouraged to meet with the individual who has allegedly violated their rights, e.g., instructor, staff member, or student, to resolve the issue informally.

2.) If the issue cannot be resolved by pursuing step 1, or the individual elects not to resolve the matter informally as perscribed in step 1, a formal grievance in writing must be submitted to:

         The Vice President of Academic Affairs for grievances related to the instructional process (see the college catalog or student handbook for separate process for Grade Change/Grade Appeal), or the Vice President of Student Affairs for grievances not related to the instructional process.

         The grievance must be submitted within two weeks of the date the grievant knew or reasonable should have known, of the alleged violation. The grievance shall specify the rights claimed to have been violated and state briefly the underlying facts.

3.) The Vice President of Academic or Student Affair, or designee, will meet with the individual alleged to have violated the student's rights. The VPAA or VPSA, or designee, may attempt to resolve the issue informally at this stage. If resolution is not possible and the VPAA or VPSA, or designee determines the grievance alleges facts which if true constitute a violation of the student's rights and has been timely filed, the matter will be forwarded to the Judicial Advisor whoo convene the Judicial Committee within two weeks of the receipt of the formal grievance. If the VPAA, VPSA or designee determines that the grievance does not state a violation of the student's rights or is untimely, the VPAA or VPSA will provide a written explanation to the student and the matter will be considered resolved at that point.


Contact Us

(603) 542-7744
1 College Place
Claremont, NH 03743


eStart WorkReadyNH