Student Financial Aid is financial assistance for accepted students taking at least 6 credits per semester 

There are Four Types of Aid:

Most grants are “gift money” that DOES NOT need to be paid back. Your grant eligibility is based off of your family’s income, cost of education and merit. A Federal Pell Grant is a common grant that DOES NOT need to be repaid.

Loans DO need to be paid back.

There are four types of Federal Loans:

Subsidized Stafford Loan does not require you to pay interest on the loan while you remain a student.

An Unsubsidized Stafford Loan does require you to pay interest as a student.

Federal Parent Loan (PLUS) can be taken out by a parent of a dependent undergraduate student to help pay for education. They offer flexible loan limits and fixed interest rates.

Alternative Loans are student loans made by private lending institutions. Alternative loans are made to the student, but a cosigner is frequently required. The student applies directly to a lender. The lender will perform a credit check and inform the student if the loan is approved, the interest rate of the loan, origination fees, and whether a cosigner will be required. Like other student loans, alternative loans must be repaid. A Preferred Lender list for alternative loans is at

Money is for educational expenses and is paid by the school for on-campus or community-based work. Students receive pay checks as work is completed. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have been awarded work-study and are interested in participating.

Scholarships are one-time financial assistance. You can apply to scholarships on our scholarship program called AwardSpring. Other outside RVCC scholarships can be found at our scholarship page. RVCC specific scholarships are listed on the website, while AwardSpring offers more system wide scholarships that all students can apply to.

The Financial Aid deadline is May 1 of each year. RVCC suggests applying before January 1st.

​New Hampshire Higher Education Assistance Foundation (NHHEAF) has information on other financial sources for New Hampshire residents. NHHEAF can be reached at 1-800-525-2577. For Vermont students, contact Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) at 800.822.4166

Federal Student Aid (Title IV)

How can I see my Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) percentage?

You will be able to log on to: National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Student Access Website using your Federal Student Aid FSA ID and view your LEU. The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.

Return of Federal Title IV funds: As mandated by law, students who withdraw from school before the 60% point in a semester will have to repay a portion or all of their aid (Financial Aid Student handbook Return of title IV Funds (PDF).

You now have the option to accept or decline your loans, etc. via RVCC’s Student Information System (SIS). How to sign your award letter and the rest of the paperwork online (PDF).

The Student Financial Aid Handbook for 2020-2021.




of our Students Receive Financial Aid