The Cyber Security and Healthcare IT program at River Valley is designed to give you the hands on experience needed to prepare you for a career in cyber security in a healthcare field and beyond. This program offers virtual labs to get a hands-on experience in computer technology. With digital forensics, EnCase, programming and more, Cyber Security and Healthcare IT is a pathway to a career in computer technology.
Cyber Security and Healthcare IT is designed to transfer to any four-year institution, with partnerships created to transfer all credits taken at River Valley. We prepare students for the future with preparation for industry certifications that put them a step ahead of other candidates in the job field.
- Information Assurance Specialist
- Network Security Specialist
- Security Specialist
- Healthcare IT Technician
To develop and train cybersecurity technology professionals, who can help companies manage and protect their systems and utilize their skills in any technology including within a medical environment.
The goal of the Cyber Security and Healthcare IT program is to prepare students for a career in computer technology, and successfully inform them of ways to apply their skills.
The program will provide students with a strong foundation of understanding in cyber security. Students will learn:
- the broad discipline of cyber security and develop a foundation of knowledge of the field
- to write clearly and effectively for defined audiences through a variety of strategies
- the purpose behind their field of study, how to best interact with the people in their work environment and the career path that is best aligned with their personal goals
- how to use multiple operating systems commonly found in the Cyber Security Technology field today
- basic security principles for information assurance
- the basics of descriptive and inferential statistics
- the basics of the web development process and types of attacks that can occur
- computer networking through the introduction of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model, the TCP/IP protocol suite, routing and switching protocols, Wide Area Network services, and network design & implementation
- a programming language and be able to design and implement simple programs dealing with numerical and string processing
- to implement, maintain and protect a Microsoft Windows Server Domain
- to perform ordinary tasks in the Linux operating systems
- the methods in which emerging technologies can be deployed on current and future platforms
- how to succeed in an information technology position through an Internship or Capstone course
Cybersecurity and Healthcare IT is an open enrollment program. We accept students once they are accepted to River Valley; no other requirements necessary. At RVCC, we believe all students should be able to complete a degree and be able to transfer or start their career as smoothly as possible.