At River Valley, Information Technology students will understand best practices for troubleshooting, identifying technology issues, and manage multiple operating systems. The Information Technology degree is designed to help students find their passion in IT.
Our Information Technology program allows students to find their path. Students with an interest in computer systems, who do not know their exact passion is allowed to find their path in life.
- PC Support Specialist
- Web developer
- IT security specialist
- Computer system analyst
To develop and train information technology professionals who can help companies manage and protect their systems.
The goal of the Information Technology degree is to provide students with a base set of skills to start a career in any IT field.
The program will provide students with a strong foundation of understanding in information technology. Students will learn:
- the broad discipline of information technology and develop a foundation of knowledge of the field
- to write clearly and effectively for defined audiences through a variety of strategies
- the purpose behind their field of study, how to best interact with the people in their work environment and the career path that is best aligned with their personal goals
- how to use multiple operating systems commonly found in the Information Technology field today
- basic security principles for information assurance
- the basics of descriptive and inferential statistics
- the basics of the web development process
- computer networking through the introduction of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model, the TCP/IP protocol suite, routing and switching protocols, Wide Area Network services, and network design & implementation
- a programming language and be able to design and implement simple programs dealing with numerical and string processing
- to use a variety of writing styles for communication within the professional community
- to implement, maintain and protect a Microsoft Windows Server Domain
- graphical and command line SQL methods of creating relational databases
- to perform ordinary tasks in the Linux operating systems
- the methods in which emerging technologies can be deployed on current and future platforms
- how to succeed in an information technology position through an Internship or Capstone course
Information Technology is an open enrollment program. This means we accept students once they are accepted to River Valley; no requirements necessary. At RVCC, we believe all students should be able to complete a degree and be able to transfer or start their career as smoothly as possible.
If you have any questions about Information Technology, please do not hesitate to request information or reach out to the faculty.