• Fall term class begin soon, register today! 

Financial Aid

River Valley Community College administers a financial aid program to provide funds to students who would not be able to attend or continue attendance at the College without such aid. In providing these funds to students from federal, state, and local (public and private) sources, the College adheres to the regulations set forth by each source. Located in Student Services Suite, hours are Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm.  Please call (603) 542-7744 for an appointment with financial aid. 

Instructions for Using Financial Aid to Buy Text Books

General Information

Additional Documents, Forms and Instructions

Application Step by Step:

  1. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Use 007560 for RVCC’s school code. Make note of the date FAFSA was filed.
  2. You should receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) via email approximately one week after the date that the FAFSA was submitted. If you do not receive your SAR call 1.800.433.3243. This report is for your records only; RVCC will receive a copy electronically.
  3. Does RVCC’s Financial Aid Office have a copy of the required documents? Have you received a missing document letter from the Financial Aid Office? If so, please submit the required documents/information as soon as possible. Your file cannot be reviewed without all necessary documentation. Did you receive and accept the ESTIMATED awards by signing and returning the Award Notification letter to RVCC’s Financial Aid Office? (Usually sent two (2) weeks following receipt of all required documents.) Have you received notifications regarding your Master Promissory Note (MPN) from your Lender? To complete a MPN go to: www.studentloans.gov  (The notification will only be sent after you have accepted your awards and your file has been reviewed by the Financial Aid Office.)  Did you complete your Entrance Counseling session? If not, select Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov

The first step in applying for financial aid is for the student and, if applicable, his/her parent or his/her spouse, to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  Please allow 1-2 weeks for the results of your processed FAFSA to be sent to the College. Upon receipt of your processed FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will contact you if additional information is required.

Requirements of an applicant each academic year for him/her to be awarded financial aid:

  1. Completion of the financial aid application process;
  2. Admission to an associate degree or a certificate program that is financial aid eligible;
  3. Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  4. Be registered with the Selective Service if male between the ages of 18 and 25;
  5. Not owe a refund on a grant or be in default on any federal student loan;
  6. Not have borrowed in excess of the annual or aggregate federal loan limits;
  7. Demonstrate financial need as determined by federal and/or state guidelines;
  8. Enrollment in a minimum of six (6) credits per semester. The Pell Grant may be awarded to students with extremely low expected family contribution (EFC) who are enrolled in three (3) credits per semester;
  9. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the guidelines; and
  10. Reapply every academic year.

Student Aid on the Web has detailed information on all federal student aid.

Federal & State Grants
Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded program that assists students who demonstrate financial need with the actual costs of attending college. A Pell Grant is considered "gift money" that does not have to be repaid. To qualify for a Pell Grant, you must be an undergraduate student who does not already have a bachelor degree. Awards are granted on a sliding scale ranging from $277 to $5,550 and are based on the expected family contribution (EFC) determined by the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a federal grant made available to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. The FSEOG is considered "gift money" that does not have to be repaid. To qualify for FSEOG, you must have Pell Grant eligibility, however, all students who receive the Pell Grant will not receive FSEOG.

Massachusetts and Vermont State Grants

The Massachusetts State Grant and the Vermont State Grant programs provide grants for their respective residents attending a college in his/her state or another state. Students must demonstrate financial need. Massachusetts residents must submit the FAFSA by May 1 of each year to be considered.

Loan Programs
Federal Perkins Loan Program

The Federal Perkins Loan program provides low interest subsidized loans to students who demonstrate financial need. This loan program has a five (5) percent interest rate and repayment does not begin until nine (9) months after graduation, withdrawal, or when enrollment drops below six (6) credits.

Federal Direct Loan Program

Requirements: A student must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits to be eligible for these programs. The amount a student may borrow may not exceed the cost of attendance minus other assistance (or, for subsidized loans, other assistance plus the EFC). All students must complete a Master Promissory Note as the College has now switched to the Federal Direct Loan Program. First time borrowers must also complete loan entrance counseling.

Direct Subsidized Loans

These loans are subsidized by the federal government for students who demonstrate financial need. Subsidized means the student is not responsible for payment of accrued interest during periods of at least half time enrollment [six (6) credits or more]. Repayment begins six (6) months after graduation, withdrawal, or when enrolment drops below six (6) credits.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

These loans are not subsidized by the federal government and are not based on financial need. Unsubsidized means the student is responsible for payment of accrued interest during periods of at least half time enrollment although actual payment can usually be deferred. Repayment begins six (6) months after graduation, withdrawal, or when enrollment drops below six (6) credits.

Annual Loan Limits
Dependent Students (except students whose parents cannot borrow a PLUS loan) who qualify, may borrow the following per academic year:

•Freshmen (0-31 credits earned) up to $5,500 of which only $3,500 can be subsidized;

•Sophomore (32+ credits earned) up to $6,500 of which only $4,500 can be subsidized.

Independent Students and Dependent Students whose parents cannot borrow PLUS who qualify may borrow the following per academic year:

•Freshmen (0-31 credits earned) up to $9,500 of which only $3,500 can be subsidized;

•Sophomore (32+ credits earned) upt to $10,500 of which only $4,500 can be subsidized.

The average loan debt for graduates is $6,123.

Aggregate Stafford Loan Limits
There are aggregate Stafford loan limits.  Students who qualify may borrow the following to complete an undergraduate degree:

•Dependent Students up to $31,000 of which only $23,000 can be subsidized;

•Independent Students up to $57,500 of which only $23,000 can be subsidized.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are loans made to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Parents may borrow up to the student's cost of attendance less anticipated financial aid. Additional information is available through the Financial Aid Office or at studentloans.gov.

Alternative Loans for Parents and Students

These loans are offered by various lenders to assist parents and students meet educational expenses. Such funds may assist families that do not qualify for or need to supplement other forms of financial aid. Information is available here.

Lender Code of Conduct

Information is available on the Code of Conduct for lenders of Alternative/Private Loans by CLICKING HERE.

Federal Work Study Program
Federal College Work Study

Federal work study opportunities exist both on and off the RVCC campus. Hourly wages range from $10.00 to $11.00 per hour.
On-campus jobs are available throughout the campus.
Off-campus jobs are available throughout the local Claremont area in non-profit agencies.

Students must provide their own transportation. Additional information is available through the Financial Aid Office.

Failure to Complete Classes and Financial Aid
Return of Financial Aid Funds (Return to Title IV)

Financial aid recipients who withdraw from all classes or stop attending classes prior to completing more than the 60% point in the semester may be required to repay all or a portion of the financial aid they received for that semester.  Recipients may also be required to pay back, to the College, all or a portion of tuition charges.

Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.  When a student ceases attendance, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive.  Please select here for complete information.

Maintaining Financial Aid Eligibility Aid
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

The Financial Aid office is required by federal regulations to periodically review financial aid recipients to ensure that they are making satisfactory academic progress towards the completion of his/her program of study.  Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) for financial recipients is measured by both qualitative and quantitative standards and is an assessment of a student's cumulative academic record while in attendance at the College.



Julia Dower
Financial Aid Director
ext 5310

Patricia A. Labrecque
Assistant Director of Financial Aid
ext 5311

Jean Dale
Program Assistant
ext 5312

Office Hours:

Consumer Information


Student Financial  Aid Handbook

EDvestinU National Monthly Scholarship Giveaway


At a glance

Contact Us

(603) 542-7744
1 College Place
Claremont, NH 03743


eStart WorkReadyNH