What are Grants?

The federal government provides grants for students attending college or career school. Most types of grants, unlike loans, are sources of financial aid that generally do not have to be repaid.

Grants can come from various sources, including the federal government, state government, or RVCC.  When you complete your FAFSA application, you will automatically be awarded the federal grants you are eligible for, such as the Pell Grant or the FSEOG (Federal Student Educational Opportunity Grant).  

You will want to research grants available for students in your state. You will also want to contact the RVCC Financial Aid Department to ask if you may qualify for any of our college-based grants.  

Don’t forget to visit our Quick Links page for links to state-level grants! 

You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid- this includes the Grants.